Friday, April 13, 2012

Day 1- Night and Day

Happy Earth Day!  I thought April was the perfect time to teach our little disciples that God created the earth and to treat it with love.  Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.  

My goal is to teach my little disciples The Story of Creation in the next couple of weeks.  Please join me!

Day 1:
Genesis 1:3-5 Then God said, "Let there be light," and there was light.  And God saw that the light was good.  Then he separated the light from the darkness.  God called the light "day" and the darkness "night."  And evening passed and morning came, marking the first day.

After we read the Bible verse together, I asked my little disciples, "What would it be like if there was no light?"  They replied, "I don't know."  So I had to give examples..."Would you be able to see your toys outside, walk to the mailbox..."  Then they replied, "We wouldn't be able to see anything!"  (That's the answer I wanted!)
I got this idea from icanteachmychild.com.  I got a shoe box and cut 1 hole on the width side and another hole on the length side.
I asked them to look inside, "What do you see?"  My oldest said, "Nothing."
Then I shined a flashlight in one of the holes and said, "Now, what do you see?"  My youngest said, "Light!"  God created darkness and light.


I printed off a creation worksheet from www.biblestoryprintables.com on card stock paper and cut each picture out.  I tied yarn on our baby gate then glued the numbers from the worksheet on 7 different clothespins.  By the end of the 7 day unit, my little disciples will be able to match the numbers to the pictures.  We will hang one picture up everyday, this is the picture from today's...

and this is what it will look like on Day 7.

My youngest disciple (he is 2 years old) loves to color.  I found 7 Days of Creation Coloring Pages from www.dltk-bible.com.  We will color a picture each day as well.

On the same website, www.dltk-bible.com, I found a 7 Days of Creation Song.

(Tune of "Are you Sleeping Brother John")
God created, God created.
Night and Day, Night and Day.
That was on the first day, That was on the first day.
It was good, It was good.







Other ideas for the Creation Unit include:
Snack- Oreo Cookies 
Creation Number FlashCards
Creation Wheel (I might use this for our "review" at the end of the unit)
Genesis 1:1 Coloring Sheet
Creation Coloring Pages


Other Creation Days
Day 2
Day 3
Day 4
Day 5
Day 6
Day 7

8 comments:

  1. I know a creation song that goes a day at a time if you are interested. At the end of each day you say, "And He said..." The children answer with, "It IS good!" It isn't a familiar tune, so I would have to sing it for you or record it and send you the words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These ideas are wonderful. I did a unit on Creation with my boys in January, but I never got around to blogging our activities. I love your approach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Allison. I hope to get Day 3 posted tomorrow!

      Delete
  3. I love your ideas for the creation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are GENIUS! And I'm TOTALLY borrowing, not stealing, this idea. We are K12.com right now and they just aren't teaching the way I think they should be teaching, so I'm supplementing with My Father's World. The first 7 days of the kindergarten curriculum is Creation. There were only a few things to do on those days. I wanted to fill them in with more hands on activities. Now... Off to find a shoe box!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kaylee - Thank you for sharing the ABC Jesus Loves Me resources for Creation. I wanted to let you know that the links shared are no longer valid. Can you please change the ABCJLM links to http://www.abcjesuslovesme.com/ideas/creation ?

    Thank you! Heidi

    ReplyDelete